IWTK stands for I Want The Kit.
- Residents of Maryland, Washington DC, and Alaska can order and receive a test kit.
- The kit lets you collect your own genital and/or rectal sample in the comfort and privacy of your home.
- It's easy to do and the results are reliable!
1. You create an account using your email address and a secure password that you choose.
- Be sure to write your password down! - you will need it to log back into your account to check for updates and results.
- You must use your FULL first and last names when creating your account.
- Due to laboratory regulations regarding identifying information for specimens submitted for testing, IWTK requires full first AND last names for testing as well as shipping.
- No initials or nicknames or "aliases" should be used when creating your account.
- Our website is on a Johns Hopkins HIPAA compliant server - your information is secure.
- The first and last name you use on your account must match the first and last name you write on your Contact Form.
- Your specimen cannot be processed and tested by our laboratory if your identifying information doesn't match.
- The website is designed to only allow one kit to be mailed out at a time per account.
- This was done to minimize abuse of the program.
- It helps to save money on the postage IWTK uses sending out kits that are never returned for testing.
- Instead of creating another account, notify IWTK via email if the website will not allow you to order a kit.
2. The kit is mailed directly to you.
- You must provide a valid mailing address that is recognized by the United States Postal Service.
- Kits are mailed via the U.S. Postal Service on weekdays (Monday through Friday, excluding holidays).
- You should allow up to 7 days for USPS to deliver your kit. Locations farther from Baltimore may take longer to arrive.
3. You use the swab(s) in the kit to collect a vaginal, penile, and/or rectal sample by following the easy directions.
- If you are re-testing after treatment, be sure you wait at least 3 weeks before using IWTK.
- Testing too soon after treatment can result in a false-positive or indeterminate result because the assays we use in our lab are highly specific and sensitive.
4. You fill out the top half of the yellow Contact Form, included in your supplies, with the required information.
- The first and last name you write on your Contact Form must match the first and last name you used on your account.
- The date you collected your sample must be written on the designated line on the Contact Form.
- This is needed to determine whether your specimen is too old for testing due to delayed/prolonged transit time.
- Your specimen cannot be processed and tested by our laboratory:
- if your identifying information doesn't match,
- if your Contact Form is blank (not filled out with required information),
- if your Contact Form is not returned with your swab.
5. You mail your swab(s) and the yellow Contact Form to our laboratory at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD using the pre-addressed white cardboard mailer.
- You MUST fill out and return the Contact Form with your swab - we cannot test your specimen without the form.
- Maryland and Washington DC users must put $2.67 in postage and their return address on the cardboard mailer.
- USPS will return your mailer to you if you apply insufficient postage, which may affect the transit time and possibly result in the cancellation of your order (see below).
6. For swab specimens that are delayed during mailing to our laboratory:
- Prolonged transit time of 3 - 4 weeks after collection - IWTK will test your sample, but may recommend that you collect a new sample for repeat testing.
- Prolonged transit time of one month or greater after collection - IWTK will not test your sample, will cancel your order, and request that you collect a new sample for testing.
7. Your sample is tested for 3 common sexually transmitted infections (STIs): chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trichomonas.
- IWTK uses FDA approved nucleic acid amplification testing that is more sensitive and more specific than culture:
- Aptima Combo 2 for CT/NG assay
- Aptima Trichomonas vaginalis assay
8. You get your confidential test results within 2 weeks by logging into the website using your username and password.
- If your test result is positive, it means you are infected.
- Your result will be faxed to the clinic you selected when you ordered your kit.
- This is where you will go to receive treatment (antibiotics).
- If your test result is positive for chlamydia and/or gonorrhea, your result will be reported to the Maryland State Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
- If your test result is positive, an IWTK staff member may contact you to verify when and where you received treatment.
9. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that a person who had a sexually transmitted infection (STI) be re-tested 3 months after treatment to see if they got infected again.
- You should request a kit for re-testing purposes 3 months after treatment.
- Re-testing several months after diagnosis of chlamydia, gonorrhea, and/or trichomoniasis can detect a repeat infection.
- Most repeat infections are caused by failure of a sex partner to receive treatment or by starting sexual activity with an infected new partner.
Do NOT order a test kit to give to your sex partner(s). They must create an account and order their own test kit.
IMPORTANT: A "positive" test result means you are infected. Your results will be faxed to the clinic you selected during the ordering process. It is your responsibility to contact the clinic to make an appointment and arrange for treatment. Clinics see patients on various days and times, so you should contact the clinic directly to find out when you can go to receive antibiotics for treatment of your infection, the fees that may be charged, and what additional testing (i.e. HIV testing, syphilis testing) may be required to receive treatment.ALASKA residents: Within two (2) weeks of mailing the kit to the laboratory, you can call the toll-free number at ANTHC (provided in your kit) to get your results. Or if you provided an email and/or phone number, a nurse will contact you to give you your results. If you test positive for chlamydia, gonorrhea, or trichomoniasis, the nurse will work with you to find the best way to get you treated.
Examples of the kit:
'Penile Kit Only' contents shown below:
If you select to receive a rectal kit with your penile kit, you will receive two swabs.
'Vaginal Kit Only' contents shown below:
If you select to receive a rectal kit with your vaginal kit, you will receive two swabs.
Who can use it?
- If you are 14 years or older, you can receive a test kit.
- At this time, only residents of Maryland, Washington DC, and Alaska can order and receive a test kit.
How much will the kit cost?
- The collection kit and laboratory testing are FREE!
- Postage to mail your swab(s) back to IWTK for testing via USPS currently costs $2.67.
- If you receive a positive result, there may be a fee associated with the treatment clinic you attend - you will see which clinics have fees for treatment when you order your kit and choose a clinic.